Friday 12 March 2010

If Only....

Really! OMG! No! I don’t believe you, chirped Anu.

Finally you are doing something girl, come on; come on give me the details.

Well I’m auditioning for 'Music India' and will go to Mumbai next week, I said.

Wow!!!! Neha that’s breaking news let me tell Soumya, Dipti and Maya.

Hey!! It’s ok Anu, nothing great about it. 'Music India' has raised the age barrier for the participants, otherwise at my age?

Come on Neha, you are so talented and such a good singer. What’s the deal with 'Music India’?

Well! the winner gets one crore rupees plus a personal album and a foray of goodies to enter the music world.

Gosh!!! Neha that’s good to hear, finally you’re getting a life. You are such a talented singer but were tied down due to your kids and husband. Now that the boys are all grown up, do pursue your talent. Now, enough of singing in family parties and let the world know about your talent. Buck up Yaar!!!!!

I almost drowned in my tea cup hearing those words from Anu again and again. Am I so good? Does the world need to know me; hmmm sure they should… said my narcissistic mind.

Ravi, shall I sing 'cheeni kum hai cheeni kum hai', the super duper Shreya Ghosal song or should I go for an English song?

I started humming the song. Hey! All are good Neha, you sing divinely but personally, I think, the 'cheeni kum' song is the best and it suits your tone.

The entire week went fast, I practiced singing in the morning, after breakfast, while cooking, even while jogging to the surprise of some stunned and some admiring glances of fellow joggers.

All the best mom!!! Rohan and Adi my sons shouted in unison. We will watch you on TV every week; you already are a winner mom.

Yeah!!! I am!!! I thought to myself.

In Mumbai, the mad rush at the auditions almost made me change my mind. It was filled with youngsters though I did see a few of my breed. But then, I thought of Ravi, Rohan, Adi, Anu, Soumya and Maya. Their love and faith in me gave me the determination to give it a try.

Archie, Veronica and Betty..... Yeah! That’s what I felt when I saw the judges at the audition.

They walked right out of the comic books to be judges I thought. They could almost be my son’s age. Archie looked wonderful with his curly hair and winsome smile. Veronica 'ho hums, with her coiffure hair, manicured nails and a plastic smile while Betty with her large and warm eyes looked great with a chirpy smile.

Archie mumbled well done my vote is for you, Betty pitched in 'mine too’ liked your voice, you did full justice to the "Cheeni Kum song'. It was an ok audition for me Veronica cribbed not too good, not too bad.

It did not matter for me as I had made it through the auditions.

Hello Neha! Saw you last night on TV. You were damn good said Ravi.

Please try to come to Mumbai Ravi. I’m in the semi finals now. I need you to calm my nerves and do tell all your friends to send as many SMS’s as possible. Our friends Rohan and Adi have also promised me that they will do their best to get me more votes, I said.

The winner of 'Music India ' is…… I almost choked…. closed my eyes, my breath came in short spurts…….. It’s 'Neha Rao'

I could not phantom the stupendous claps of the audience and the handshakes of the judges. I nearly blanked out for a moment. It was the most treasured moment for me.

Are you sure Ravi, can you manage? I mean you will be alone.

Of course I can, who knows once you be more successful, I may leave my job and be your manager. What say? asked Ravi.

Well I’m moving into the new flat I bought in Goregoan, it’s near the film studios there. I have to cut an album with Sony soon. Karan Johar and Hirani have also signed me as their playback singer in their forthcoming film. You know what, Ravi, I am now a rival to Shreya Ghosal and I’m almost her moms’ age. Can you believe that? Of course you will be my manager.

Ravi you take care and don’t worry about me. I am going off to sleep as I have an early flight to catch.

‘Triiing Triiing’ rang the alarm clock...... Ravi, get up fast. Its 6 am dear, you need to go to office in time. Get up!!!!!!

'Cheeni kum hai cheeni kum hai’ I hummed as I got the breakfast ready while having a hearty laugh at my sudden stardom. It was worth the few moments that it lasted in my dream and what a dream it was.

I am seriously thinking of going for an audition though………

Do look out for me… and yeah don’t forget to vote…. PLEASE!!

2 comments: