Saturday 27 March 2010

Friendship earned and retained.....

The other day I met an old acquaintance of mine and got chatting old times.

It was real fun discussing friendship and various common friends which my acquaintance had conveniently forgotten or lost touch with.

Are you still in touch with those old friends? She asked me. Yes! I said.

''Oh God!!! How do you manage to do it? Friendship is one relation which is so difficult to maintain. Especially with classmates who were with us in our school and college. It’s so long back” she said. How did you go about it? She asked me.

Well I said, "Friendship is not free; it must be earned". We have to work on all relationships and friendship is no different.

Encourage others to talk about themselves and when you talk, talk in the interest ranges of things that people treasure most. That way like minded friends come closer on common grounds.

Sometimes friends can be so overwhelming said Neha. Yeah! I said. Please do respect other people's good judgment and avoid arguments. That’s a sure way to retain good friends for sure. In fact never tell anyone they are wrong. We all will rationalize to the point of thinking we are unequivocally right.

Well some of my friends are so critical. I almost cringe, said Neha.

I know I said. Make it a point to criticize ourselves before other people have a chance to; and if you are wrong on an issue and you know it then admit it.

Always tread softly into the path of friendship, you will go farther, I said.

Neha make it a point to let you friends feel; as though they have excelled you at some time or another.

Be a good listener. Many friends want to tell us a lot. I'm a good listener Neha. This is one reason why I have managed to retain literally all my friends since childhood.

Well this all seems one sided isn’t it? That means your friends may be taking you for granted. Isn’t it??? Asked Neha.

Well I do call attention to their mistakes circuitously and I don’t broadcast. I do challenge others to do something better but I never force them. Moreover I do it with a lot of love and care.

Friends to me are very dear and their well being and comfort in my presence is of utmost importance. Probably this is one big reason why I have managed to be in touch with lots of friends.

Hope and pray all my friends remain happy, prosperous and we do remain in touch for years to come. God bless them all.

4 comments:

  1. You got some good points there but at this juncture i feel would love to call upon more of such friends with whom i need not be pretentious and have no such fear that i could be misunderstood.Good words on ur part though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shivani. Most of my old and tested friends have their faults, but I overlook them because they have gone through lots of ups and downs in their individual lives. I look at only the positive side of our relationship, which works fine by me. Misunderstandings normally crop up when one looks overwhelmingly at the negativity in an individual. At this juncture of my life I am content with making sure friends are comfortable in my environment. Hope and pray I am right…..

    ReplyDelete